The Colorado National Guard established its only permanent training facility just outside of Golden called the State Rifle Range in 1903. As the years ticked on and the rifle range progressed, the facility became known as Camp George West, named after George West, in 1934. Camp George West was an ammunition storage area, training facility, and officer’s quarters. Most of the original buildings are still standing today including our building 48. The use of the area has changed, but still continues some of its colorful roots from the past. Today, Colorado State Patrol resides at camp George West, as well as a small correctional facility that originally housed German prisoners of war, and Jefferson County Open Space has claimed a rolling park area. Building 48, now historical, resides in the open space park, just north of Golden Road.
Starting off as a recreation hall in the 1930’s for the officers of Camp George West, Building 48 continues to be a hall for people to enjoy. The building was completely refurbished with the help of the Colorado State Historical Society in 2016, giving it modern upgrades while keeping its historic integrity. The building sits on 40 acres of open space, with views of Look Out Mountain and is 1,838 square feet. It contains a gas fireplace, a full service catering kitchen, can seat 66 people and house 150 total.
Other amenities: fridge & microwave